Today is our anniversary! It’s actually a double anniversary for us: 6 years together and 1 year married! We decided to elope last year on this date so we could keep our original anniversary, and we’re both so glad we did. I wanted to share a little post with some throwbacks and things I’ve learned throughout the first year of marriage to celebrate! First, the throwbacks!
Things I’ve Learned From Our First Year Of Marriage
- Talk about EVERYTHING. The good, the exciting, the bad, the ugly, talk about it all. My husband and I have always told each other everything, even throughout dating and engagement. No matter what it was, no matter if the other person would get frustrated, we always talked about everything. I’ve seen couples who fight constantly, and I’m so thankful that we aren’t like that because we know how to communicate. I can’t remember the last time one of us actually raised our voice in a conversation, and I owe a lot of that to us being able to talk about anything and everything.
- Date & Flirt! I think one thing thats always made our relationship fun is that my husband is a huge flirt! He’s always flirting with me, joking around, and doing cute things for me like picking flowers when we go walking. I do the same thing for him, but lets be honest here, I buy him snacks instead of picking flowers. We also still date. We take the pups to the park for a picnic, break out the snacks and watch a movie at home, go out to eat, or do something like go grab an ice cream cone and just talk in the car (we did this just last week). Don’t settle into a routine just because you’re married. Write down a bucket list of things you want to do together and try to check something new off every month or two! It’s so fun to experience firsts like that together!
- Make your spouse a priority and be respectful. Always, always, always put your spouse and their feelings first! My husband and I have always made each other a priority and been respectful of one another. We always check in with each other before making plans, spend quality time with each other, and don’t let things that aren’t important put a strain on our marriage. My husband is my #1 person, so being respectful and making him a priority is so easy for me!
- Believe in each others dreams. This is soooo important! Don’t ever make your spouse feel like their dreams are too crazy. I’m the type of person who wants to do several things instead of one. From blogging to wanting to open a wedding business someday and more, my husband has always supported me in everything. I’m the same way with him and I believe he can do anything he sets his mind too. I’ve seen people down their partners for their dreams in the past and its heartbreaking. Supporting each other 110% is a must!
- Always say “I love you” and kiss each other goodnight. We have a routine. Every night before bed we tell each other “goodnight, I love you, and wake me up if you need me” then we tell the pups goodnight and give each other a kiss. Little things like this matter so much. Once you stop doing them you’ll miss them. Doing things like this throughout the day show that you care about your spouse. It’s all about the little things in marriage.
What are your favorite marriage tips?